Friday, September 28, 2012

Mark Your Calendars

I should like to encourage you to mark your calendars for this coming Monday and Tuesday, October 1 and 2 at 8/7c. The book, "Half the Sky" has been made into a documentary for PBS which will be aired on those days, and I HIGHLY recommend that you tune in for that. I believe that this will also be available on the Internet. 

In case you haven't heard of half the sky, I will embed a link for the preview and then just talk through my experience with this book. Click here to see the preview. 

I cannot speak for the entire book as I have not yet finished it, but I probably read 3/4s before law school and having a child took of my life. This book talks through many of the struggles that women have throughout the world. Though I have read other books on women's issues, this book is particularly compelling because it looks at the individual. 

This is not a documentary for the faint in heart. Really hard issues will be discussed, but I promise it will inspire you. I do not necessarily endorse all the remedies that the authors suggest to solve these problems, nor do I condone where much of the criticism is directed, but I still think that this is an exciting and inspiring movement. 

Topics in the book: Female Genital Mutilation, Education for Women/Girls, Child Marriage, Sex Trafficking, Rape, Lack of Property Rights, Domestic Violence, Self Defense, Inheritance Rights 


Of course, the list isn't fully inclusive, but a broad spectrum of issues will be covered, and I genuinely think that this is going to be an excellent program, so please TUNE IN!


Additionally, I wanted to mention that I am a member of a very large women's society. Twice a year, this Relief Society has a general assembly. That meeting will take place this Saturday, September 29 at 6pm mountain time. It streams on-line as well as on TV based on your available channels. If you are interested in that the link is here

The Relief Society is the arm of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints targeted at organizing, teaching, and inspiring the female members as well as increasing faith, strengthening families and home, and seeking out and helping those in need. 

I particularly enjoy this general meeting because I feel that the messages shared fall in line with my personal belief of what the relief society could and should be if it's members took seriously the opportunity offered to them through their membership. I love the Relief Society, and I am grateful for my membership in it. While it may not seem as sexy or as hands on as other organizations which claim to deal with women's issues, I know that within my own community this gives me an opportunity to help women in need and be strengthened by other women within the relief society. Finally, if you are interested in this organization, you are welcome to come and be a part anytime. Just let me know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment